Monday, September 26, 2011

Whooping Cough Vaccine Effectiveness


A new study shows that Whooping Cough (Pertussis) vaccine is still effective but not for as long as first thought.

Dr. David Witt, the lead researcher and chief of infectious disease at the Kaiser Permanente Medical Center in San Rafael, California, said at the American Society for Microbiology Conference in Chicago on September, 19 2011 that even though the study still needs to be confirmed through more research, the results show that the vaccine loses its effectiveness after just 3 years. The result came as a surprise to all who believed that the vaccine was effective for 5 years. "I was disturbed to find maybe we had a little more confidence in the vaccine than it might deserve," said Dr. Witt.

As for now, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommend 5 shots (2, 4, and 6 months of age, 15-18 months of age and 4-6 years of age) for infants/children and a booster vaccine for pre-teens/adolescent (11-12 years of age). If you notice, there is a gap of 5-8 years between the first 5 shots and the booster shot.

When Dr. Witt started the study he was expecting that the outbreak would be common among unvaccinated population, but he was surprised to find that a group of fully vaccinated kids caught the disease at a high rate. "What we pretty quickly identify is that the bulk of the outbreak was in fully vaccinated children", he said.
"Older kids and younger kids seemed to be pretty well protected but the age of eight to 12 was the vast bulk of the cases. And when we examined that, it was correlated to being more than three years from the last vaccine booster dose."

The CDC states that last year, 27,550 cases of pertussis were reported in the U.S. (27 deaths - 25 of these deaths were in children younger than 1 year old). California had large number of pertussis cases last year, during which more than 9,100 people fell ill and 10 babies died. Middle and high school students who haven't gotten their booster shot, were not allowed by the school to return this fall.

Whooping Cough is a highly contagious disease caused by Bordetella pertussis that can be fatal, specially in infants too young to be fully vaccinated.  The symptoms starts like the common cold, with runny nose or congestion, sneezing, and maybe mild cough or fever. But after 1–2 weeks, severe coughing can begin. It is characterized by a "whoop" sound when air is inhaled and vomiting after a coughing spell.

The symptoms in infants are different. The cough can be minimal or not even there and they may have a pause in the breathing pattern (apnea).

The CDC disagree with the results of this study. Heath officials are now debating about the need of giving the booster shot to children as young as 7 years old, but as for now, Federal officials says that is still too soon to make that a standard practice.

If you have a 7-11 years old child, ask/talk to your doctor about a booster shot.

Note: The CDC recommends that adults 65 years and older who have close contact with infants should get a Pertussis shot.


Picture's source: http://www.freedigitalphotos.net/images/Healthcare_g355-Female_Doctor_And_Syringe_p27460.html


ADDENDUM (09/26/2011 14:30 p.m.):

 The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) published in the October issue of Pediatrics a revised policy about whooping cough vaccination.

The AAP and the CDC are now recommending that ALL adults who have contact with a child to get vaccinated against whooping cough, considering that they are often transmitting the disease. The vaccine is called Tdap, a combination of three vaccines that protect against tetanus, diphtheria and pertussis.

As stated by Dr. Peter Richel, chief of pediatrics at Northern Westchester Hospital, in  Mount Kisco, N.Y., "In addition to the above recommendations during childhood, Tdap should be received by adults…pregnant women and caretakers of infants and children,". "That means day care workers, teachers, and parents and grandparents of any age. If you have any questions, refer to your pediatrician, obstetrician or internist."



Stumble Upon Toolbar

10 comments:

  1. Thanks for this. I had a full-immunized child get pertussis. It was horrible. I'm on the fence about some vaccines, but pertussis is not something I want my kids getting again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting... my sister had whooping cough when she was a baby, it was awful. She would turn blue while coughing! She was in the ICU for a few days. I think this vaccine is quite important!
    Visiting from VB Members to Remember

    ReplyDelete
  3. i am with janeil, i, too, am on the fence with some vaccines. in fact i have opted out of several. this however is one of the ones i am absolutely in favor of! i have a school aged child and twins at home, so i will talk to our doctor about this and see if i should get another one for my older son. thanks for the info!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is quite informative. I have immunized my babe also and now disturbing to know that it won't be as effective as I imagined.. :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. I immunized my baby at 2 months and haven't returned, he's nearly 8 months now. I'm just so torn over vaccines. And then studies like this only confuse me more; vaccinated children broke out with it? For now, I think I'm going to wait until he's two years old and 80% of the brain is developed by that time. And Pertussis will be one of the ones I want to have him vaccinated for.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting. My hubby and I asked my daughter's pediatrician if we should get that vaccine and he said no. We've wondered ever since if we should have gotten it then or if we still should now. This definitely gives me something to think about. Thank you for posting it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for all comments. When I read about it, I thought that I should share with other moms!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just letting you know that I stopped by your blog today from the 'In The Nestwork' site.

    Have a nice weekend mate!

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow this was really interesting. I hadn't known a lot of that or about that study. It's always a tough call. take care, coming to you from VB.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I got whooping cough when I was in Grade 7 i think it was and after that I became extremely susceptible to it. I'm in my early 30's now and I still go bronchitis every time I get a cough if I don't catch it quick enough.
    My mom actually found out about the effectiveness of the vaccine a couple years ago and I got an update on it, in fact, I'm probably due again this year so I'm really glad I read this post.
    It's an awful cough to have and I have 'scars' from it to this day in the form of damage to my teeth from the throwing up for like 3 months while the Dr's debated what was wrong with me.
    Visiting from MomnBaby & VB.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...